Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Brackenridge Park

Amid the trees, gravel paths, and spring-fed waterfalls, I can forget that I am in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the nation. I sometimes avoid the park on pretty Saturdays because the mass quantities of 4 year olds with Dora the Explorer pinatas hanging from trees can be a little intense, but that doesn't stop me from roaming Brakenridge at least 3 times a week. There are so many fun things to see.
I love to people watch there more than anywhere else. I will sit and overfeed ducks while watching dads fishing with their little boys. I will run the paths with music blaring through my headphones and lose myself for a little while at least. I take my boyfriend's puppy to the playground and let all the little kids roll around with her until somebody poops out. I will sneak to the backside of the SA Zoo that neighbors the park and watch the monkeys through the chain-link fence . The park also neighbors the Whitte Museum which is breathtakingly gorgeous. There is a train (intended for the entertainment of small children, but primarily occupied by adults) that circles the perimeter of the park while teaching the long yet fascinating history of the park and the surrounding area.
This place definately holds a very special place in my heart and I cherish it and all it's charm.

Brackenridge Park makes me happy.

2 comments:

  1. I still remember going horseback riding in the park. Stupid horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to take me there next time i visit. I have never been and i love parks!

    ReplyDelete