Monday, February 16, 2009

My Mangrove Boys

There is a group of gentlemen that has played a very big role in my life for the past five years that I couldn't imagine being without. The Electric Mangroves, a local rock/blues band in the San Antonio area, rock my world. Not only are they amazingly talented musicians, but they are my friends.
Live music is one of my passions in life, having attended hundreds of concerts and shows in a massive variety of venues. Even though I consider myself very open-minded and enthusiastic about experiencing a new band, nothing makes me happier than grabbing my closest girlfriend and dancing to the Mangroves. I love when they play the old Toadies and Stevie Ray Vaughn cover songs that I know every word to, but I get super pumped when they play a new song they've just written for the first time. Watching them practice making music with little to no guideline, and hearing their inspirations come out through a guitar, drumset, or even trumpet is fascinating to me.
Bobby, lead guitar, is extremley good at what he does. He is quiet, but hilarious. Laid back, yet driven. He is a man of mystery, but never unkind. Plus he loves my cat.
Oscar, bass player, is probably the funniest boy I've ever known. While his sarcasim gets him into trouble on a fairly regular basis, he still has a good heart.
Matt, drummer, is hands down the strangest person I've called my dear friend. With his unruley curly hair, "ecclectic" attire, and nonchallant attitude, I can honestly say I've never had a bad time with him. He's funniest when he doesn't mean to be and strangely charismatic with the ladies.
Tasso, vocals and guitar, is the "leader" if you will. I can't say enough kind words about this man. One of the freindliest, sincerest, and sociable people I have ever know. His first priority is always his family, friends coming a close second. He pays no mind to popularity or the feeding of egos, he just wants to have a good time and make good music while doing it. With his kind soul and wickedly handsome looks, I'm convinced he can take on the world.
I truely love these boys and love supporting their little band. You should, too.

The Electric Mangroves make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment